DERARTMENT OF TECHNICAL EDUCATION
DIPLOMA COURSE IN MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
MODEL QUESTION PAPER
METAL CASTING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Time: 3Hrs Max marks: 100
Note: 1.Section-1 is compulsory
2. Answer any two full questions from each of the remaining sections
1. (A) Fill in the blanks with appropriate words: 5X1=5
(¡) The casting is one of the basic ______________ process.
(ii) Reducing variability and defects is the essence of _____________concept.
(iii) The ultrasonic waves are usually generated by ______________effect.
(iv) The crucibles used in foundries are made of clay and ______________materials.
(v) The risers promote _______________solidification
2. a) Give the flow diagram showing the hierarchical classification of various casting processes. 08
b) List the factors to be considered in the selection of suitable furnace for melting a metal in
3. a) Design the gating and risering system for rectangular plate steel casting with
dimensions of 1000 mm x 1000 mm x 100 mm. 10
b) Explain the use of chills in achieving directional solidification. 5
4. a) Define Gating ratio. 2
b) Differentiate between function of top riser and blind riser. 6
c) Explain in brief the different techniques available for improving casting yield. 7
5. a) With a neat sketch describe the working of pit type crucible furnace. 5
b) A cupola of 75 cm diameter has melting ratio of 10:1, calculate
(ⅰ) the air required for complete combustion
(ⅱ) air required to melt 500 kg of iron at this ratio
(ⅲ)the coke required to melt 500 kg of iron if melting ratio is 8:1
(ⅳ) the air required to melt 500 kg of iron if melting ratio is 8:1.
Assume the weight of regular charge of coke as 32 kg 6
c) State the advantages and disadvantages of direct electric arc furnace. 4
6. a) Explain briefly Quality control as applied to foundries. 5
b) Explain sampling inspection. 5
c) Explain the ultrasonic method of casting inspection. 5
7. a) Mention the differences between a base feature and a local feature in a casting model. 5
b) List various tooling features in a sand casting and die casting that need to be solid modelled. 5
c) Give the relative merits and demerits of solid modeling based on conventional, haptic and virtual
reality user interface. 5
8. a) Draw a detailed layout of cast iron foundry and indicate the possible areas where computers can
be used. 9
b) List the major pollutants emitted/produced in a foundry. 6
9. a) State the functions of various elements that comprise of gating system . 5
b) Briefly explain control charts for variables as used in foundries. 5
c) Explain Chvorinov's rule. 5
10. Write short notes on any three of the following : 5X3=15
a) Directional Solidification b) Energy saving techniques in foundries
c) Exothermic sleeves d) Applications of robots in foundries.