Govt. of Karnataka, Department of Technical Education
Diploma in Computer Science & Engineering
Subject: Database Management Systems
Max. Marks: 100 Max. Time: 3 Hours
Model Question Paper
Note: 1. Section –I is compulsory.
2. Answer any TWO questions from each remaining Sections. Marks
Section – I
1. a) Fill in the blanks with appropriate word/s 5x1=5
i) An ________schema describes the physical storage structure of the database.
ii) The basic object that the ER model represents is an __________.
iii) _________ is the notation for select operation in relation algebra.
iv) The _________ constraint states that no primary key value can be null.
v) The information stored in the catalog is called _________.
b) Mention the capabilities that should be provided by a DBMS 5
Section – II
2. a) What are the different types of end users? Explain the activities of each. 5
b) Explain the main categories of Data Models. 5
c) What are the different ways of classifying a DBMS 5
3. a) Define the following terms: 5
i. Entity ii. Attribute iii. Attribute value
iv. Composite attribute v. Entity set
b) Describe the naming convention used for ER diagram. 5
c) Design an ER diagram for the Company database. 5
4. a) Discuss the entity integrity and referential integrity constraints. 5
b) Discuss the various types of update operation on a relation. 5
c) Explain aggregate functions. 5
Section – III
5. a) Explain the following relational algebra operations with example : 9
i. Select ii. Project iii. Cartesian product
b) Explain the various types of inner join operations. 6
6. a) Explain CREATE TABLE command in SQL . 5
b) How to create Views in SQL? Explain with an example. 5
c) What is the difference between WHERE and HAVING clause? 5
7. a) Consider the following tables : 9
WORKS (Pname, Cname, Salary)
LIVES (Pname, Street, City)
MANAGER (Pname, Mgrname)
Write the SQL queries for the following:
i. List the names of the people who work for the company Wipro along
with cities they live in.
ii. Find the people who work for the company “Infosys” with salary
more than Rs 50000
iii. Find the names of the persons who live and work in the same city.
b) What is meant by COMMIT and ROLLBACK? Explain 6
Section – IV
8. a) Explain the different class of anomalies with respect to relational scheme. 6
b) Define Functional dependency. Explain its inference rules 4
c) Compare 1NF with 2NF. 5
9. a) What is the purpose of BOYCE_CODD normal form ? .Explain 7
how it is differs from 3NF? .
b) Explain the ACID properties of transaction. 4
c) List the different types of failures. What is meant by catastrophic failure? 4
10.a) What is lock? Describe the types of locks. 10
b) Explain Fuzzy check pointing. 5