MODEL QUESTION PAPER
SUBJECT: MASS TRANSFER – II
- Question no. 1 is compulsory.
- Answer any two full questions from each sections.
1.a. Fill in the blanks: 1 x 5
i. The reverse of absorption operation is _________.
ii. Preparation of coffee/ tea is a domestic example of __________.
iii. In extraction the value of selectivity of solvent should be______________.
iv. As temperature increases the rate of adsorption __________________.
v. In vaccum crystallizer the supersaturation is attained by __________________.
b. Write a short note on the characteristics of packing materials. 5
2. a. Explain the types of absorption with examples. 5
b. Describe the construction of tray towers for absorption operation with neat
3.a. Explain briefly minimum liquid-gas ratio. 7
b. Discuss the types of packing materials with figures. 8
4. a. Describe regular and random packing methods. 8
b. Explain flooding & loading in packed towers. 7
5. Explain with a neat sketch the construction & use of triangular charts in liquid
6. a. Discuss the factors to be considered while selecting a solvent for liquid extraction.7
b .Describe the construction & working of sieve tray columns. 8
7. a. List leaching equipments with specific applications. 5
b. Describe the construction & working of Robert diffusion battery. 5+5
8. a. Discuss the preparation & applications of any three industrial adsorbents. 3x5
9. a. Explain the principles of Crystallization. 5
b. Describe the working of Swenson walker Crystallizer with figure. 5+5
10. Write short notes on 3x 5
a. Adsorption equilibrium.
b. Supercritical fluid extraction.
c. Reverse osmosis.