MODEL QUESTION PAPER
SUBJECT: PETRO CHEMICAL PROCESSES (ELECTIVE )
- Question no. 1 is compulsory.
- Answer any two full questions from each sections.
1. a. Fill in the blanks: 1 x 5
i. Chloramethanes are produced by _______________ reactions.
ii. Methanol is commonly used as ___________.
iii. The catalyst used in alkylation process is _______________.
iv. SNG is mainly used as _____________.
v. Benzene is produced by toluene by ________________ process .
b. Write a short note on delayed coking. 5
2. a. Explain the manufacture of Formaldehyde with a neat flow sheet . 5+5
b. Describe production of Chloromethanes. 5
3. Explain the production of ethylene by steam cracking of hydrocarbons with flow
4. a. Explain the manufacture of vinyl chloride with the flow sheet. 5+5
b. Describe the production of acetylene from calcium carbide. 5
5. a. List the methods of production of acetone & mention its applications.. 3+2
b. Explain the manufacture of acetone by dehydrogenation of isopropanol with flow
6. a. Explain dehydrogenation of butane to butane with flow sheet. 5+5
b .write a note on acrylonitrile. 5
7. Explain the production of propylene oxide via chlorohydrin process with flow sheet
& mention its applications. 6+6+3
8. a. Explain steam reforming of natural gas with flow sheet. 5+5
b. Explain catalytic reforming of BTX. 5
9. What do you mean by isomerisation? Explain isomerisation of xylene with flow
10. Write short notes on 3x 5
a. Dehydrogenation of ethyl benzene.
b. Production of caprolactum.
c. Aniline production.