MODEL QUESTION PAPER
SUBJECT : PETROLEUM REFINING PROCESSES (ELECTIVE)
- Question no. 1 is compulsory.
- Answer any two full questions from each sections.
1. a. Fill in the blanks: 1 x 5
i. Octane number of gasoline is the measure of its _____________ property.
ii. For heating of crudes __________ are used..
iii. Kerosene is treated by using _____________ solvent.
iv. Reagent used in the doctor’s sweetening process is __________________.
v. The commonly used catalyst in catalytic cracking is ______________.
b. Write a short note on delayed coking. 5
2. a. Explain the occurrence of petroleum. 7
b. Describe Indian petroleum resources & industries. 8
3. Explain any two theories of origin of petroleum 8+ 7
4. Write short note on. 3X5
b. Flash & fire point
c. Octane number
5. a. Describe the methods of desalting & dehydration of crudes. 5
b. Explain single stage distillation of crudes with flow sheet. 5+5
6. a. Explain Doctor’s sweetening process with flow sheet. 5+5
b .Describe the sulphuric acid treatement. 5
7. a. Explain sulphur dioxide treatement of kerosene with flow sheet. 5+5
b. Describe deoiling process. 5
8. a. What is cracking of petroleum? Discuss the methods of cracking. 2+3
b. Explain thermal cracking process with flow sheet. 5+5
9. a. List the advantages of catalytic cracking. 5
b. Describe orthoflow catalytic cracking process with flow sheet. 5+5
10. Write short notes on 3x 5
a. Reforming operation.
b. Hydrofining operation.
c. Visbreaking operation.